Non-Employee and Interview Candidate Travel Guide

Information on travel, lodging and reimbursement processes for non-employees and interview candidates.
In this Section

Interview candidates and non-employee visitors must follow the travel information found on the Visitor's Travel Guide.

Local Hotels

The host department will make the lodging reservation in the visitor's name to ensure the room is billed at the state rate and is tax-exempt.  The reservation information will be emailed to the visitor. The visitor will pay for the lodging and then submit the original receipt to the department for reimbursement. Most hotels are approximately 2 miles from campus.

Preferred Hotels: 

  • AmericInn - 715/235-4800
  • Cobblestone Hotel & Suites - 715/233-0211

Other Menomonie Hotels:

  • The Hampton Inn - 715/231-3030
  • Motel 6 - 715/235-6901
  • Super 8 - 715/235-8889

Rental Car Information

If planning to drive from a distant city or airport, check with your contact person at UW-Stout to discuss the possibility of renting a car prior to making the trip.

If the host department agrees to the use of a rental car, see the Visitor's Travel Guide for contract vendors and a Big 10 booking code.

  • Pick up and drop off location is the American Inn 1915 N Broadway St, Menomonie, WI 54751

Shuttle To and From Menomonie

Groome Transportation/Airport Service offers transportation from the Minneapolis Airport to Menomonie. Access their websites for pricing and scheduling information.

If planning to drive from a distant city, it is necessary to check with your contact person at Stout to discuss this choice prior to the trip.


The host department will complete the expense report for the visitor. The visitor is responsible for retaining all receipts and remitting them to the host department.

Commercial Move

The new employee is responsible for selecting a household moving company and making all the arrangements. If the UW System contract vendors are not used, the new employee must obtain at least three written estimates. These estimates must be included with other documentation when submitting expenses for reimbursement. NOTE: If relocation reimbursement is limited to $3000 or less, no quotes are needed.

Reimbursement will be limited to the lowest of these three bids. These estimates should include the cube sheet/estimating form and must clearly describe the shipment and all services to be provided. Charges assessed by the mover for providing a binding estimate are reimbursable under the direct cost of relocation.

Reimbursable Expenses:

  • Moving expenses involved in transporting household goods including furniture, appliances, clothing, etc.
    • Submit original itemized receipt from the carrier
  • Packing supplies. Examples would include packing boxes, tape, and blankets rented from the truck rental company.
    • Submit original itemized receipts
  • A complete listing of reimbursable expenses can be found in the UW System regulations under section III.B.2

Non-reimbursable expenses:

  • Packing supplies that would become 'household goods' like plastic storage containers (such as Rubbermaid), padlocks, etc.

  • Charges for moving pets, automobiles, boats over 14', trailers, etc.
  • A complete listing of disallowed expenses and receipt level requirements can be found in the UW System receipt requirements

Important to Remember!

  • Three bids if not using our contract moving company.
    • Bids should be obtained prior to the move.
    • When applicable, written copies of estimates from moving companies need to accompany TER
  • Original itemized receipt from carrier must accompany TER
    • The receipt must show actual payment made
  • Original itemized receipts for packing supplies
  • Paperwork should be submitted in a timely fashion


The employee is responsible for making all the arrangements and payments for a self-move. It is not necessary to obtain estimates or competitive bids when using a truck rental company.

Reimbursable expenses:

Rental of truck

Original itemized receipt required

  • Packing supplies (i.e. packing boxes, tape and blankets or pads rented from truck rental company)
    • Original itemized receipts required
  • Gas for the rental truck
    • Original itemized receipts showing the number of gallons and price per gallon required
  • Reasonable and necessary costs for any hired labor. Neither employee, employee's spouse/domestic partner, or dependents can be paid for packing
    • For claimable hired labor, original itemized receipts should be attached to TER. A complete listing of reimbursable expenses can be found in the regulations under III.B.2

Non-reimbursable expenses:

  • Packing supplies that would become 'household goods' like plastic storage containers (such as Rubbermaid)
  • Charges for moving pets, automobiles, boats over 14', trailers, etc.
  • A complete listing of disallowed expenses can be found in the regulations under III.B.1

Important to Remember!

  • Original itemized receipts need to be provided for everything. Charge account statements unacceptable
  • Paperwork should be submitted in a timely fashion

Stipend for Incidental Costs

Incidental costs associated with a move that is not reimbursable as a direct cost of the move may be covered by a stipend if granted by the appointing authority. A stipend is not limited in amount and is required to be stated in the offer letter to the exact amount or an "up to amount". 

There's no need to itemize these expenses, however, the hiring department may request that original receipts be submitted for categorization. This stipend can be used to cover the additional costs involved in the actual moving of the employee. Examples might include:

  • Lodging and meals en-route
  • Additional insurance on goods while being shipped
  • Auto hauling
  • Unpacking charges
  • Storage
  • Quarantine for pets
  • Mileage for driving a second personal vehicle

Transportation of Employee and Family

The amount of reimbursement for transporting the new employee and the new employee's immediate family from their former residence to the new place of residence may not exceed the cost of mileage for one automobile at the rate specified in UW System Travel Policy. The maximum allowable amount shall be based on mileage using the most direct route and shall not exceed the mileage indicated on the bill of lading when a commercial carrier is utilized. However, actual necessary airfare may be reimbursed for overseas relocations.

Reimbursement Process

To be reimbursed for expenses incurred during the move, the new employee will need to complete an Expense Report. Backup that needs to be submitted along with this includes:

  • Appropriate original receipts

  • Bids, if required

Once completed, the expense report will go to the hiring department. The hiring department must:

  • Attach Authorization to Reimburse Applicant form
  • Attach a letter from Academic Dean approving reimbursement of moving expenses and stating the monetary amount or limit of the reimbursement.

If you have any questions please contact the UW-System Travel Team

Reimbursement for Interview Candidate Expenses

An employee who incurs expenses for interviewing prospective new employees is eligible for reimbursement using an Expense Report and the following guidelines:

  • Include an Agenda with the name of the employee (for meals, airport transportation, etc.)
  • Meals involved in the interview process will be reimbursed up to in-state maximum. If seeking reimbursement for meals in addition to yourself, an itemized receipt is required. Credit card slips are not itemized receipts.
  • Mileage to/from the airport will be reimbursed at the lower rate unless a non-availability slip is included from Fleet Vehicles.
  • Nominal mileage for transporting candidate to/from campus and lodging will be reimbursed

Employee will not be reimbursed for

  • Meals that aren't part of the official agenda included
  • Mileage for touring the area
  • Mileage for taking the candidate out of town for a meal (15 mile radius is allowable)

Relocation Travel Reimbursements

There are two types of moving expenses and these costs will be routed as income and are both taxable as such:

  • 'Qualified' expenses entail the costs involved in hiring a commercial mover or renting a truck for a self- move.
  • 'Incidental' cost entails such things as lodging and meals enroute, additional insurance, etc.