UW-Stout's Bachelor of Science degree in Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) is dedicated to the study of human development and family life in which the individual, family, and community are viewed as interrelated. It is an interdisciplinary field that draws from other social sciences but has established distinct assumptions, approaches to studying families, and worldview. A multidisciplinary approach provides students with both a broad perspective and specialized knowledge.
What We Offer:
- An established and highly reputable program
- Award-winning instructors
- Applied learning opportunities
- Professional networking opportunities
- Excellent employment in the field
- Proven preparation for graduate school
Our goal is to foster positive sensitivity to the needs of families and their members through the lenses of relationships, culture, gender, age, and life stage, among others. UW-Stout's Human Development and Family Studies program has a strong, established reputation of preparing our graduates to work in a variety of human service related areas.
Upon completing the B.S. HDFS program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate professional competence in educational, civic, and career settings.
- Integrate knowledge of family dynamics to enhance relational functioning.
- Demonstrate cultural competence, inclusive of multiple aspects and intersections of diversity within a historical and social context.
- Integrate understanding of the developmental processes in individuals across the lifespan, based on physical, social, emotional, cognitive, moral, and personality aspects within an ecological framework.
- Critique social scientific knowledge as applied to families and human development.
- Evaluate the impacts among and between societal institutions and families.
- Demonstrate personal and interpersonal growth.
- Demonstrate competent communication skills.
Our program is designed for students ranging from incoming freshmen who are beginning their professional journey to transfer students who are wishing to advance their professional opportunities. The excellent transferability of credits assists transfer students in completing their degree in a timely manner.
Use the Request Information form to receive a program summary and learn more about the Bachelor of Science degree in Human Development and Family Studies.
Ranked the Fifth Best Human Development Degree Program
B.S. Human Development and Family Studies Online
To apply for the on-campus and online Bachelor of Science degree in Human Development and Family Studies, you need to apply to UW-Stout.
Students who are attending another institution, but are planning to receive their degree from UW-Stout, may be eligible to receive aid from UW‐Stout. In these cases, UW‐Stout is considered the Home Institution and the other campus is considered the Visiting Institution.Transfer Students
Note: When filling out the application form, be sure to make a note in the student comment section that you intend to apply to the "online program."
An academic study, service learning opportunities, and experiential learning with a senior internship prepare graduates for positions in a number of areas, such as:
- Human service agencies
- Residential treatment programs and group homes
- Afterschool/youth mentoring programs
- Probation and corrections facilities
- Rehabilitation centers
- Older adult activity and living centers
- Aging and disability services
- Human resources management
- Family resource centers
- Youth summer camps
- Child care facilities
- Public/family policy and advocacy
The program also serves as an excellent foundation for graduate school in disciplines including:
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Social Work
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Mental Health Counseling
- School Counseling
- Student Personnel
- Health and Wellness
- Family Science
2022-23 HDFS Advisory Board
|James||Anenz||First Year Advisor - UWStout Advisement Center||UW-Stout|
|Kevin||Doll||Program Director- on campus||UW-Stout|
|Lorraine||Garland||HDFS Alum/Professional in the Field||Arbor Place|
|Jeremy||Hernandez||Professional in the Field||Positive Alternatives|
|Sarah||Kocken||HDFS Stout Online||UW-Stout|
|Tina||Lee||CACHSS/Applied Social Science Program Director||UW-Stout|
|Candice||Maier||HDFS Associate Professor||UW-Stout|
|Genevieve||Sabala||Director - Social Work Certificate||UW-Stout|
|Bethanne||Shriner||Program Director - online||UW-Stout|