UW-Stout's Social Work Professional Certificate is for current professionals who want to acquire the unique disciplinary knowledge and skill set of social work to supplement their degrees and careers. Courses are career-focused while promoting diversity and awareness, celebrating applied learning, and emphasizing knowledge-based professionalism via the practice of theory and scholarship.
The Social Work Professional Certificate qualifies you to pursue social work licensure in the state of Wisconsin. More information regarding social work licensure in Wisconsin may be found here.
Note: This program is designed to meet the requirements for licensure in the State of Wisconsin. If you reside outside of Wisconsin, please note that UW-Stout cannot confirm whether this program (or course) meets requirements for professional licensure in your state. Students from other states will need to contact their state regarding licensure requirements. See the following website for additional information.
Preference will be given to those individuals seeking State of Wisconsin Social Work Training Certificate.
Highlights of the Social Work Professional Certificate:
- Bridges knowledge-based learning with field-based professionalism
- Delivery includes one all day face-to-face session per course
- Eight week courses with the ability to complete the Social Work Professional Certificate in one year
UW-Stout's Social Work Professional Certificate fosters a holistic educational approach of applied learning and research, theory application and critical thinking, while also advancing students’ skills and strengths to become professionals who support individuals, families, and society to overcome social problems while empowering healthier lives and environments.
Admission Requirements and Application Materials
To apply to the certificate program, please complete the online application form.
Additionally, the following program-specific materials are required at the time of application:
- Updated resume
- A statement of goals will be needed, including your expectations for online learning and examples of your readiness to participate in online learning.
- Proof of State of Wisconsin Social Work Training Certificate (SWTC) will be needed for those professionals currently working and seeking only the certificate. Current student pursuing a BS in HDFS-CI or BS Psychology-CI degree will not need to provide evidence of a SWTC.
Tuition & Fees
Customized Instruction at UW Stout can be described as programs that are designed with the adult learner in mind. If you're comparing UW-Stout's customized instruction tuition to our competitors, keep in mind:
- Customized instruction tuition rate includes the textbook rental fee.
- There are no additional university-based semester or technology fees.
- Students in customized instruction programs pay the same rate of tuition regardless if Wisconsin residents, out-of-state or international participants.
Value for Your Money
There’s more to value than just tuition. UW Stout also provides:
- Program Director – faculty with discipline expertise.
- Student Services adviser – one point of contact, providing support to students for each program.
- Course sequences and matrices – know what courses are offered when so you can plan ahead.
- Courses and programs may be stackable for use in another program.
- Courses are flexible and convenient for working professionals.
Other universities will present costs and value differently – make sure you're comparing apples to apples.