Credit for Prior Learning

Earn college credit for your non-traditional education and experiences.
In this Section

Earn Credit Outside the Classroom

Who says that all education happens inside a traditional academic classroom? Prior Learning Credit can be granted for other valuable experiences you've had such as AP classes, volunteer work, military service, professional development, and more.

Earn Credit in High School

UW-Stout grants advanced credit for the successful completion of college-level coursework while in high school, as well as for high achievement on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams.

Advanced Placement (AP)

UW-Stout awards course exemptions and college credit for qualifying scores through the College Board Advancement Placement (AP) Program. Credit is awarded for exam grades of 3, 4 or 5.

Review the AP credit chart to see how AP credit will be awarded.

To earn AP credit, students must have their official AP grade report sent directly to the Admissions Office from the College Board. For more information on grade reporting services, visit the UW-Stout’s AP code is 1740.


Credit for College Coursework

Students who take college courses prior to high school graduation will receive advanced credit as long as the credit is:

  1. transferable,
  2. earned at an accredited college,
  3. listed on an official transcript generated by the college.

To be awarded credit at UW-Stout, enrolling students must have their official college-level transcript(s) sent directly to UW-Stout Undergraduate Admissions as the recipient.

By MailElectronically
Admissions Office
212 Sorensen Hall
121 10th Ave E
Menomonie, WI  54751

Must be submitted directly to UW-Stout Undergraduate Admissions from the institution.

We cannot accept faxed or emailed transcripts. 

If prompted for an email, please send your transcript to

Students taking courses in which they may ultimately earn college credit may consult Transfer Wisconsin or Transferology directly to determine exactly how credit may be awarded. For specific questions contact the Transfer Team at


International Baccalaureate

UW-Stout awards advanced standing credits for scores of 4–7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) higher-level and subsidiary-level exams.

Review the IB credit chart to see how credit will be awarded.

IB transcripts must be sent directly to the Admissions Office from the IB Organization.

Project Lead the Way

Secondary school students who successfully complete Project Lead the Way (PLTW) courses may apply for transcripted college credit from UW-Stout.

Learn more about PLTW

Earn Credit Through Testing

UW-Stout awards credit through standardized tests such as the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, and departmental exams.

Departmental Exam

Departmental exams are given at the discretion of the program director.

Learn more detailed information about this process from the Registration and Records Office.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP allows students to take examinations for college credit for knowledge gained through:

  • independent study
  • advanced high school courses
  • noncredit adult courses
  • professional development

Review our CLEP Exam/Course Equivalent Chart to determine which CLEP exams will transfer to UW-Stout credit. Students must score 50 or higher to receive credit.

UW-Stout's Advisement Center can provide you with more information on how to take a CLEP exam.

DSST/Dantes Exams

DSST/Dantes allows students to take examinations for college credit for knowledge gained through:

  • independent study
  • advanced high school courses
  • noncredit adult courses
  • professional development

Exams may be free to service members and veterans.

Review our DSST Course Equivalent Chart to determine which DSST exams will transfer to UW-Stout credit.  Students must score 400 or higher to receive credit.

Earn Credit for Military Experience

Earn credit towards your degree through your military experience or military school training.


Students who have completed Basic Training or Boot Camp for any branch of the military may receive credit for HWF-340: Community CPR, ED, and First Aid.

For majors where there aren't specific requirements, HWF-340 fulfills General Education requirements in the Social Responsibility and Ethical Reasoning (SRER) category or may be used towards general education electives.

Additional credit may be awarded based on credit recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE) with receipt of a Joint Services Transcript or official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force. 

Submitting Your Military Transcripts

To receive credit, please supply your military services transcript to   

For more information on how to request the transcript, read more from our Veteran Services office.

Earn Credit for Work Experience

Academic credit can be earned for knowledge you've gained through your work experience, such as on-the-job training, community service, or other learning that's resulted from your career and personal experiences.

Professional Development, Training, and Certifications

If you've received training or certifications that do not appear on your college transcripts, you can see if they're recommended as eligible credits through these resources:

Examples include American Red Cross, Dale Carnegie, Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), and Walt Disney Co. 

To receive credit for any of these, please submit an official transcript from the service recommending credit. 


To be eligible for credits, you must:

  • be an undergraduate student who has already been accepted to UW-Stout,
  • have submitted your transcripts to the university,
  • have remaining general education or elective credits needed to graduate.

You may qualify for credits by creating a Professional Portfolio in collaboration with your program director and the evaluating faculty/staff member.  Review the Credit by Portfolio Assessment policy for more information.

Students in the following majors may also qualify for credits specifically toward your technical electives by creating a Portfolio:

Please contact your Program Director for further information.