Veteran and Military Student Benefits

Stout students have the opportunity to use veteran or military education benefits.
In this Section

Step-by-Step Guide: Using Benefits

In order to use veteran or military education benefits at UW-Stout, there are a few steps you must complete:

  1. Apply to UW-Stout. Start your education journey with us.
  2. Check Eligibility. Reach out to UW-Stout Veteran Services, a Military Education Liaison/Office, or your County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO).
  3. Apply for benefits. Ensure you apply for federal or state military education benefits with ample time before a term begins. Applications can take extended periods of time before being approved, possibly resulting in delayed payments.  
  4. Complete a Veteran Benefits Worksheet online. This worksheet is used to notify our office that you are enrolled in classes and are requesting us to process your benefits. It must be completed once per each term/semester that you would like us to process your benefits.
  5. Submit required paperwork. Each individual benefit requires different paperwork and applications. If you are unsure if you have submitted the correct paperwork, please contact us as soon as possible.
  6. Submit Your Military Transcripts. To receive college credit for military experience and training, request your official military transcript be sent to UW-Stout. After receiving the transcript, our Transfer Coordinator can award credit based on recommendations by the American Council on Education.
  7. Follow up. Any questions? We're here to help.

Residency Status Information & Important Legislation 

Residency Status for Tuition

The UW-Stout Admissions Office can assist prospective and incoming students with detailed information about residency.  Visit the UW-System's Resident Status for Tuition Purposes page for a comprehensive guide on tuition-related residency requirements. 

Legislation Affecting You

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 (Public Law 116-315) provides additional guidance for eligible veteran students using Federal GI Bill benefits.  Beginning August 1, 2021, provision 1005 removes the requirement for covered individuals to enroll in a course at a public institution of higher learning within three years of being discharged to receive in-state tuition.  


Request Information

You are an International student if you do not live in the United States.